Slippin’ Out, Slippin’ In

There are a bunch of things I’ve been wanting to write about, but I’m going to take them one at a time.

A couple weeks ago, I found myself working on two projects that both use slipped stitches. It wasn’t intentional, and it wasn’t one of my big Proof They’re Watching kind of coincidences (seeing as how I was the one who picked the projects), but I thought it was worth noting, especially since the slipped stitches have completely different purposes.

I bought a Swiffer a year ago or two, with the intention of making a reusable cover for it. I started one that was crocheted, in some obnoxious hunter orange acrylic that I had, only to find out when I ran out of the first ball that it wasn’t the obnoxious hunter orange acrylic that I thought it was, and I didn’t actually have any more to finish it. I got busy with other stuff, and my Swiffer sat in the laundry room, unused. I finally made a different cover for it, the Ballband Dishcloth Reusable Swiffer Cover from Strange Yarns;;Skull Charms. It’s based on the Ballband Dishcloth from Mason-Dixon Knitting. I should have done a full three repeats of the pattern, I think. I haven’t tried using it yet, but I imagine it will still work, even if it’s a little small.

IMG_2108

It’s a simple pattern, and a nice way to use up some cotton leftovers. I should make at least one of the dishcloths, too. I’m pretty sure the point of the slipped stitches is to get the reverse stockinette to puff out and make it better for scrubbiness.

My other slip stitch project is a Mermaid Tail Blanket for my little Cindy Lou Who (who is much more than two). There are a bunch of patterns out there for making these. I’m not sure why I picked this one, but, I did.

Mermaid Tail Blanket Top

Mermaid Tail Blanket Top

For this one, the slipped stitches give the illusion of scales on the tail. Purely decorative, and since starting it, I’ve realized how handy they’ll be for my Cindy Lou Who to loop her toys through and pull the stitches out. I really like the way it looks, but I know how good she is at destroying knitted things, and I’m wondering what made me think this was a good idea. But, I bought the pattern, I’ve already started, and if I can keep her from mangling it up, I think she’ll really like it and it will get a lot of use.

The tail is worked in a pattern of welts, knit one row, purl two rows, knit one row.

Mermaid Tail, Not Just a Fluke

Mermaid Tail, Not Just a Fluke

Of course, I misread the instructions where it talked about ridges, and was making it about twice as wide as it needed to be. Luckily, I caught my mistake just before I got to the decreases.

I’m still working on the top part. I took theses pictures today. It uses large needles (US11, I think), and my carpal tunnel syndrome has been giving me fits lately, so I can only work on it for a few rounds at a time, and then I have to switch to something else on smaller needles, or, really, not knit for a few days.

But there you have it. Two different uses for slipped stitches. Well, I thought it was interesting!

Advertisements

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: